Mission Statement and Code of Ethics
The mission of the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners, as an administrative agency of the Supreme Court of Virginia, is (1) to ascertain the qualifications of applicants for admission to the Bar of Virginia, and (2) to license those applicants who meet those requirements as established by the Supreme Court of Virginia, the Virginia General Assembly, and the Rules and Regulations issued by the Board.
Code of Ethics
As employees of the Commonwealth of Virginia and the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners, we will:
- Be motivated by the mission and values of the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners, understanding that our top priority is to protect the public.
- Exercise prudence and integrity in utilizing the resources of the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners, ensuring that every dollar collected from applicants is spent efficiently.
- Strive for professional excellence.
- Communicate honestly and in a forthright manner.
- Preserve and respect the confidentiality of our applicants' records as required by state and federal law and the Rules of the Supreme Court of Virginia, while maintaining open and transparent operations where otherwise appropriate.
- Avoid impropriety.
- Act with integrity and a spirit of respectful cooperation.
- Abide by the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners' policies and procedures.
- Treat all persons in an evenhanded, respectful and courteous manner.
- Hold ourselves accountable for adhering to this Code of Ethics.
As employees of the Commonwealth of Virginia and the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners, we will not:
- Allow conflicts of interest between ourselves and our professional responsibilities.
- Use or misappropriate Virginia Board of Bar Examiners resources for personal gain.
- Knowingly sign, subscribe to or permit issuance of any information that contains a material misstatement or omits a material fact.
- Knowingly engage in or condone deliberately wrongful acts that reflect adversely on the person's honesty, integrity or fitness to perform their assigned tasks.