Bar Exam Application Filing Instructions
The instructions below will assist you in completing the Bar Examination Applications.
Click the links below to access further information or to print certain forms. Your goal should be to submit a package that includes ALL required documentation.
STEP 1 - READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS/RULES BEFORE STARTING
Carefully read the Rules of the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners (Rules) before going on to step 2.
In Step 3 below is a link for the VBBE Online Forms. The VBBE Online Forms include all Applications, Re-Applications, Update of a Previously Filed Applications, as well as the Character & Fitness Questionnaire, Character & Fitness Update Form, Non-Standard Testing Form and other miscellaneous forms required to apply to take the Virginia bar exam.
Click here for a sample of all bar exam application forms.
(Please Note: Your actual forms will vary by the answers provided to certain questions. These are ONLY a sample.)
STEP 2 – GATHER AND PREPARE REQUIRED MATERIALS
Certain items are required to be attached to your various applications. Before you begin completing the applications, request the documents you are required to submit. Many items are required for all applications, although some items noted are only required depending upon your responses to certain questions. Requesting the items in advance will ensure you can submit a COMPLETE Application and/or Character and Fitness submission.
Additionally, your responses to certain questions may indicate that other documents, not listed below, are required. You should start your application process early enough to ensure you can secure all required documents.
The following items are required with EVERY Bar Exam Application, Re-Application, Update of a Previously Filed Application, etc. Click the link below for further information regarding each requirement.
- Full Legal Name
- Social Security Number or Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles Control Number
- Photo Identification or Photo ID
- Credit Report
- DMV Record(s)
- MPRE Score Report (if not previously submitted)
- NCBE Number
- Fees (Money order or certified check. NO personal or company checks.) One check is acceptable. Checks must be made payable to "Virginia Board of Bar Examiners".
The following items are required for first-time applicants who have never applied for a previous bar exam in Virginia.
- Fingerprint Card
- Educational Verification Documents
- Birth Certificate, Naturalization or Immigration documentation
- Complete and Accurate Addresses for your prior Residences, Schools, Employers
The following items may be required depending upon your response to certain questions.
- Petition for Non-Standard Testing with ALL attachments (part of the online forms)
- Certificates of Good Standing (for all jurisdictions in which you are licensed, if any.)
- Concurrent Transfer Form and Fee
- Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree or Name Change Order for verification of current legal name
- DD214 - Military Report of Separation documents
- Non-US Citizen - Immigration documents (previous applicants must provide current status)
- Court Records for all Felony Charges
- Court Orders in regard to creditors, tax liens, judgments
- Bankruptcy Petitions
- Defaulted student loan documentation
- Character & Fitness Healthcare Form, completed by Licensed Healthcare Professional (part of the online forms)
STEP 3 – ACCESSING AND COMPLETING THE APPLICATIONS
- Follow the instructions provided in the VBBE online forms. Your responses to certain questions will determine which forms you must complete.
- Your answers are NOT automatically saved, so make sure you frequently click the "Save Your Answers" button located on the taskbar.
- An Answer Summary is available to review the online questions and your answers throughout the process.
- Before you click the Submit button on the taskbar, you must confirm you have reviewed the Answer Summary. PLEASE NOTE: Once you click Submit, you can no longer access the online interview questions.
- VERY IMPORTANT STEP: You MUST send a paper copy of all forms to the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners. Once you click "Submit" on the taskbar and follow all the steps, a link will be provided for you to download your application forms. It is VERY IMPORTANT that you download and save this file in order to print the required forms for submission to the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners.
- When you access VBBE online forms, you will be asked to register. Please use your current email address and choose a password that you will remember. For more information about how to Register and to access VBBE Online Forms, click here.
- Review and sign the Application and have your signature notarized.
- If a Character & Fitness Questionnaire (CFQ) is required, include the following:
- Fully completed CFQ
- Completed handwriting sample, Section 21 of the CFQ
- Two (2) originally signed and notarized Authorization and Release Forms (last two pages of printed CFQ)
- All required attachments as listed on CFQ checklist
- If a Character & Fitness Update Form (C&F Update) is required, include the following:
- Fully completed C&F Update
- Completed handwriting sample
- Signed and notarized Authorization and Release Form (last page of printed C&F Update)
- All required attachments as listed on C&F Update checklist
- Attach passport style photos to Application Photo ID page.
- PRINT SINGLE SIDED ONLY. YOU SHOULD MAKE A PHOTOCOPY OF ALL DOCUMENTS SUBMITTED TO THE VIRGINIA BOARD OF BAR EXAMINERS FOR YOUR RECORDS.
STEP 4 – GATHER MATERIALS
A Checklist of your application requirements is included on the last page of the forms. As you package your application, use the checklist to confirm that you have completed and included each REQUIRED item. Your application will not be considered complete until all required attachments have been received.
STEP 5 – SEND YOUR COMPLETED APPLICATION AND CHARACTER & FITNESS QUESTIONNAIRE OR CHARACTER & FITNESS UPDATE FORM TO:
Mail all applications to:
Office of the Secretary
Virginia Board of Bar Examiners
2201 W. Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23220
Statutory Filing Deadline
Due to confidentiality limitations, the Board will not confirm receipt of an application over the phone. To ensure we have received your application, send it on or before the Statutory Filing Deadline using a delivery method that you can track or include with your application forms a self-addressed stamped envelope or postcard which we will return to you date-stamped with the date we received your application.
See § 54.1-3925 of the Code of Virginia.
If your application is not actually received in the Secretary's office by the filing deadline (May 10 for the July exam; December 15 for the February exam), it may be deemed to be timely filed only if it has been transmitted expense prepaid to the Office of the Secretary of the Board by Priority, Express, Registered or Certified mail via the United States Postal Service, or by a third party commercial carrier for Next-Day Delivery AND the official receipt therefor issued by the United States Postal Service or by such third party commercial carrier, which shall be exhibited on demand of the Secretary, shows such transmission or mailing to the Secretary's office on or before the prescribed deadline.
Priority, Express, Registered or Certified mail via the United States Postal Service or Next-Day Delivery by a third party commercial carrier are the ONLY methods of transmission or mailing authorized by the statute. Thus, an application sent by any other form of mail, such as First Class mail, CANNOT be accepted if it is received after the filing deadline, even if it is postmarked before.
Applications for Examination and Character & Fitness Questionnaires should be filed no more than 90 days prior to the filing deadline, but must be filed by the statutory filing deadline in accordance with § 54.1-3925 of the Code of Virginia.