Bar Exam Application Filing Instructions
The instructions below will assist you in completing the Bar Examination Applications.
Click the links below to access further information or to print certain forms. Your goal should be to submit a package that includes ALL required documentation.
STEP 1 - READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS/RULES BEFORE STARTING
Carefully read the Rules of the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners (Rules) before going on to step 2.
In Step 3 below is a link for the VBBE Online Forms. The VBBE Online Forms include all Applications, Re-Applications, Update of a Previously Filed Applications, as well as the Character & Fitness Questionnaire, Character & Fitness Update Form, Non-Standard Testing Form and other miscellaneous forms required to apply to take the Virginia bar exam.
Click here for a sample of all bar exam application forms.
(Please Note: Your actual forms will vary by the answers provided to certain questions. These are ONLY a sample.)
STEP 2 – GATHER AND PREPARE REQUIRED MATERIALS
Certain items are required to be attached to your various applications. Before you begin completing the applications, request the documents you are required to submit. Many items are required for all applications, although some items noted are only required depending upon your responses to certain questions. Requesting the items in advance will ensure you can submit a COMPLETE Application and/or Character and Fitness submission.
Additionally, your responses to certain questions may indicate that other documents, not listed below, are required. You should start your application process early enough to ensure you can secure all required documents.
The following items are required with EVERY Bar Exam Application, Re-Application, Update of a Previously Filed Application, etc. Click the link below for further information regarding each requirement.
- Full Legal Name
- Social Security Number or Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles Control Number
- Photo Identification or Photo ID
- Credit Report
- DMV Record(s)
- MPRE Score Report (if not previously submitted)
- NCBE Number
- Fees (Money order or certified check. NO personal or company checks.) One check is acceptable. Checks must be made payable to "Virginia Board of Bar Examiners".
The following items are required for first-time applicants who have never applied for a previous bar exam in Virginia.
- Fingerprint Card
- Educational Verification Documents
- Birth Certificate, Naturalization or Immigration documentation
- Complete and Accurate Addresses for your prior Residences, Schools, Employers
The following items may be required depending upon your response to certain questions.
- Petition for Non-Standard Testing with ALL attachments (part of the online forms)
- Certificates of Good Standing (for all jurisdictions in which you are/have ever been licensed, if any.)
- Concurrent Transfer Form and Fee
- Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree or Name Change Order for verification of current legal name
- DD214 - Military Report of Separation documents
- Non-US Citizen - Immigration documents (previous applicants must provide current status)
- Court Records for all Felony Charges
- Court Orders in regard to creditors, tax liens, judgments
- Bankruptcy Petitions
- Defaulted student loan documentation
- Character & Fitness Healthcare Form, completed by Licensed Healthcare Professional (part of the online forms)
STEP 3 – ACCESSING AND COMPLETING THE APPLICATIONS
The Virginia Board of Bar Examiners has attempted to make our online forms as user friendly as possible. Please take a few minutes to read ALL instructions provided for ease of completing the forms.
Overview of Application Process and Steps:
New User Registration Steps:
- Register: Click "No Account? Register Now" to create an account, User ID and Password.
- Log In: Enter User ID and Password to Log In.
- New Transaction: Upon Log In, you will enter your portal where you can start a new VBBE application form. Click New Transaction in the upper right corner.
- VBBE Online Form Workspace: Your Workspace is where you can start/edit a document, view draft and final application PDFs.
- Begin Application: Starts the VBBE Online Forms Interview. Your responses to certain questions will determine which forms you must complete.
- Documents: Every time you click Save and Exit, you will return to your Workspace. A PDF of your application is created each time you exit. To view and print the draft or final application PDF, click the PDF icon. You MUST disable popup blockers before viewing the PDF.
Previously Registered User:
- Log In: Enter User ID and Password to Log In.
- Select Form In Progress or New Transaction: Select a form In Progress by click the form Name (Your Name with Start Date) or click New Transaction to start a new form.
- VBBE Online Form Workspace: Your Workspace is where you can start/edit an application and view the draft and final application PDFs.
- Edit My Answers: Returns you to the VBBE Online Forms Interview to continue or edit your previous answers.
- Documents: Save and Exit will return you to your Workspace. A PDF of your application is created each time you exit. To view and print the draft or final application PDF, click the PDF icon. You MUST disable popup blockers before viewing the PDF.
Review, Print and Send:
- Draft Review: You must review the draft PDF before certifying your application for submission.
- Certify: By typing certify, you are confirming you have reviewed the draft PDF of your application and all answers are true and correct.
- Submit: No changes can be made after you select Submit. Once you submit your application, a final PDF will be available to download and print.
- Final PDF: You MUST send a paper copy of all forms to the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners. Online submission of the forms does NOT constitute a filed application.
- Checklist: A detailed checklist will print with your application forms. Follow all instructions on the Checklist to ensure you are submitting a complete application.
- Print Single-Sided Only.
- For your records, make a photocopy of all forms and documents submitted to the VBBE.
To Register and Access: VBBE Online Forms, click here.
STEP 4 – GATHER MATERIALS
A Checklist of your application requirements is included on the last page of the forms. As you package your application, use the checklist to confirm that you have completed and included each REQUIRED item. Your application will not be considered complete until all required attachments have been received.
STEP 5 – SEND YOUR COMPLETED APPLICATION AND CHARACTER & FITNESS QUESTIONNAIRE OR CHARACTER & FITNESS UPDATE FORM TO:
Mail all applications to:
Office of the Secretary
Virginia Board of Bar Examiners
2201 W. Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23220
Statutory Filing Deadline
Due to confidentiality limitations, the Board will not confirm receipt of an application over the phone. To ensure we have received your application, send it on or before the Statutory Filing Deadline using a delivery method that you can track or include with your application forms a self-addressed stamped envelope or postcard which we will return to you date-stamped with the date we received your application.
See § 54.1-3925 of the Code of Virginia.
If your application is not actually received in the Secretary's office by the filing deadline (May 10 for the July exam; December 15 for the February exam), it may be deemed to be timely filed only if it has been transmitted expense prepaid to the Office of the Secretary of the Board by Priority, Express, Registered or Certified mail via the United States Postal Service, or by a third party commercial carrier for Next-Day Delivery and the official receipt therefor issued by the United States Postal Service or by such third party commercial carrier, which shall be exhibited on demand of the Secretary, shows such transmission or mailing to the Secretary's office on or before the prescribed deadline.
Priority, Express, Registered or Certified mail via the United States Postal Service or Next-Day Delivery by a third party commercial carrier are the ONLY methods of transmission or mailing authorized by the statute. Thus, an application sent by any other form of mail, such as First Class mail, CANNOT be accepted if it is received after the filing deadline, even if it is postmarked before.
Applications for Examination and Character & Fitness Questionnaires should be filed no more than 90 days prior to the filing deadline, but must be filed by the statutory filing deadline in accordance with § 54.1-3925 of the Code of Virginia.