Application for Reconsideration After Denial of Licensure Application Filing Instructions
Very Important Information
The link to start an Application is provided in the information below. The link is buried to encourage applicants to read ALL information provided.
An applicant requesting reconsideration by the Character and Fitness Committee and/or the Board of Bar Examiners, after having been denied licensure in Virginia, must submit to the Board an Application for Reconsideration After Denial of Licensure and a Character & Fitness Update Form.
STEP 1 - READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS AND RULES BEFORE STARTING
Carefully read the Rules of the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners (Rules) before going on to step 2.
STEP 2 – GATHER AND PREPARE REQUIRED MATERIALS
Before you begin completing the application, request the documents you are required to submit.
The following documents are required with EVERY Bar Exam Application, Re-Application, Update of a Previously Filed Application, etc. Click the link below for additional information regarding each requirement.
- Full Legal Name
- Social Security Number or Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles Control Number
- NCBE Number
- MPRE Score Report (if not previously submitted)
- Evidence of Rehabilitation
- Credit Report
- DMV Record(s)
- Fees (Money order, cashier's check, or certified check. No personal or company checks). One check is acceptable. Checks must be made payable to "Virginia Board of Bar Examiners."
The following documents may be required with your application, if applicable or not previously received. Click the link below for additional information regarding each requirement.
- Copy of any Application and/or Character & Fitness Questionnaire submitted to any jurisdiction for admission after denial in Virginia.
- Certificates of Good Standing - for all jurisdictions where you are/have ever been licensed to practice law (Electronic copy not acceptable)
- Certificates of Discipline - for all jurisdictions where you are/have ever been licensed to practice law (Electronic copy not acceptable)
- Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree or Name Change Order for verification of current legal name
- Non-US Citizen - Immigration documents (previous applicants must provide current status)
- Court Records for all felony charges
- Court Orders in regard to creditors, tax liens, and judgments
- Bankruptcy Petitions
- Defaulted student loan documentation
- Character & Fitness Healthcare Form, completed a Licensed Healthcare Professional (part of the online forms)
STEP 3 – ACCESSING AND COMPLETING THE APPLICATIONS
The Virginia Board of Bar Examiners has attempted to make our online forms as user friendly as possible. Please take a few minutes to read ALL instructions provided for ease of completing the forms.
Overview of Application Process and Steps:
New User Registration Steps:
- Register: Click "No Account? Register Now" to create an account, User ID and Password.
- Log In: Enter User ID and Password to Log In.
- New Transaction: Upon Log In, you will enter your portal where you can start a new VBBE application form. Click New Transaction in the upper right corner.
- VBBE Online Form Workspace: Your Workspace is where you can start/edit a document, view draft and final application PDFs.
- Begin Application: Starts the VBBE Online Forms Interview. Your responses to certain questions will determine which forms you must complete.
- Documents: Every time you click Save and Exit, you will return to your Workspace. A PDF of your application is created each time you exit. To view and print the draft or final application PDF, click the PDF icon. You MUST disable popup blockers before viewing the PDF.
Previously Registered User:
- Log In: Enter User ID and Password to Log In.
- Select Form In Progress or New Transaction: Select a form In Progress by click the form Name (Your Name with Start Date) or click New Transaction to start a new form.
- VBBE Online Form Workspace: Your Workspace is where you can start/edit an application and view the draft and final application PDFs.
- Edit My Answers: Returns you to the VBBE Online Forms Interview to continue or edit your previous answers.
- Documents: Save and Exit will return you to your Workspace. A PDF of your application is created each time you exit. To view and print the draft or final application PDF, click the PDF icon. You MUST disable popup blockers before viewing the PDF.
Review, Print and Send:
- Draft Review: You must review the draft PDF before certifying your application for submission.
- Certify: By typing certify, you are confirming you have reviewed the draft PDF of your application and all answers are true and correct.
- Submit: No changes can be made after you select Submit. Once you submit your application, a final PDF will be available to download and print.
- Final PDF: You MUST send a paper copy of all forms to the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners. Online submission of the forms does NOT constitute a filed application.
- Checklist: A detailed checklist will print with your application forms. Follow all instructions on the Checklist to ensure you are submitting a complete application.
- Print Single-Sided Only.
- For your records, make a photocopy of all forms and documents submitted to the VBBE.
To Register and Access: VBBE Online Forms, click here.
STEP 4 – GATHER MATERIALS
A Checklist of your application requirements is included on the last page of the forms. As you package your application, use the checklist to confirm that you have completed and included each REQUIRED item. Your application will not be considered complete until all required attachments have been received.
STEP 5 – SEND YOUR COMPLETED APPLICATION FOR RECONSIDERATION AFTER DENIAL OF LICENSURE AND CHARACTER & FITNESS UPDATE FORM TO:
Office of the Secretary
Virginia Board of Bar Examiners
2201 W. Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23220
Due to confidentiality limitations, the Board will not confirm receipt of an application over the phone. To ensure we have received your application, send it using a delivery method that you can track or include with your application forms a self-addressed stamped envelope or postcard which we will return to you date-stamped with the date we received your application.