COVID-19 Notices and Application Modifications (updated July 17, 2020) Click here
- July 2020 Bar Exam - For COVID-19 Exam Notices, Testing Conditions, and FAQs or Application Confirmation, Instruction Letters, Laptop Program
- Bar Exam Rule Changes - The Board has revised the list of subjects tested on the Virginia Essay portion of the Virginia Bar Exam. The Board also changed the minimum passing score for Option 3 applicants, effective immediately to include the February 2020 Virginia Bar Exam. Click here for the revised Rules.
- Admission Without Examination - COVID-19 Application Modifications
- Corporate Counsel Certificate, Part I - COVID-19 Application Modifications
The Virginia Board of Bar Examiners ("Board") is an agency of the Supreme Court of Virginia. In addition, its statutory authority is found in § 54.1-3919 et seq. of the Code of Virginia. The Board is responsible for ascertaining the qualifications of applicants for admission to the Bar of Virginia and licensing those applicants who meet those requirements as established by the Supreme Court of Virginia, the Virginia General Assembly, and the Rules and Regulations issued by the Board.
Before calling our office, please refer to our FAQs or the links below to see if your questions can be answered. Our website should provide you all information on the bar admission process in Virginia.
On this website, you will find:
- Frequently Asked Questions about admission to the Virginia Bar.
- Information about the Bar Exam and all its components, including the Character & Fitness Questionnaire.
- Information on Admission Without Examination (for persons who may be qualified by virtue of their years of experience in the full-time licensed practice of law in accordance with Rule 1A:1).
- Information on the Law Reader Program.
- Information on Military Legal Assistance Attorney, Military Spouse Provisional Admission, Foreign Legal Consultant, Virginia Corporate Counsel, Part I, and Virginia State Bar Reinstatement.
We can be contacted at the address and phone number below or by accessing the Contact Us page. We try to respond to all correspondence within 48 hours of our receipt, workload permitting. In order to give our staff time to perform all of their required duties, our voice telephone lines are open between the hours of 9:00 to 12:00 and 1:00 to 4:00 Monday through Friday. At other times (or if all lines are busy during those hours), you will hear a recording. Before calling, please see if your questions can be answered by the information on this site.