COVID-19 Notice as of March 27, 2020:
- The Virginia Board of Bar Examiners continues to monitor the COVID-19 situation. The Board's top priority is the protection of the public, which includes the health and safety of bar applicants and of our employees and volunteers. We will continue to update this page as new information becomes available.
- As of now, the Board still plans to administer the July 2020 Virginia bar exam on July 28 & 29, 2020, at the Berglund Center in Roanoke, Virginia. The Board will make a final decision on or about May 5, 2020, about whether it is able to administer the July 2020 Virginia bar exam based upon available information, including guidance from the CDC, state and local restrictions on gatherings, and test venue availability.
- The National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE) announced today the options it is offering for the July bar exam, including options for a fall bar exam. The Board is making plans for a possible fall 2020 bar exam in the event it is unable to administer the Virginia bar exam in July 2020.
- For additional information on the options offered by NCBE, please visit http://www.ncbex.org/ncbe-covid-19-updates/
COVID-19 Notice as of March 17, 2020:
- The Virginia Board of Bar Examiners' office and phone lines are open. Should this office be required to close, Notice will be posted on this webpage and on our phone lines.
- Mail and third-party delivery service continues at this time. The Board discourages in-person visits or the hand-delivery of any applications until further notice.
- The filing deadline for the July 2020 Virginia Bar Exam is Monday, May 11, 2020 (statutory date of May 10, 2020 is a Sunday).
- The Board realizes that some items required for July bar exam applications may be difficult to obtain at this time. We request that you continue to try to obtain all items prior to submitting your application. After May 1, 2020, if you are unable to obtain a required item, you may call the office for further instructions.
- February 2020 Bar Exam - Results
- July 2020 Bar Exam - Filing Deadline
- Corporate Counsel Certificate, Part I - click here
- Bar Examination Applicants - Rules change with new Options for applying for the Virginia Bar Exam (effective September 1, 2019).
The Virginia Board of Bar Examiners ("Board") is an agency of the Supreme Court of Virginia. In addition, its statutory authority is found in § 54.1-3919 et seq. of the Code of Virginia. The Board is responsible for ascertaining the qualifications of applicants for admission to the Bar of Virginia and licensing those applicants who meet those requirements as established by the Supreme Court of Virginia, the Virginia General Assembly, and the Rules and Regulations issued by the Board.
Before calling our office, please refer to our FAQs or the links below to see if your questions can be answered. Our website should provide you all information on the bar admission process in Virginia.
On this website, you will find:
- Frequently Asked Questions about admission to the Virginia Bar.
- Information about the Bar Exam and all its components, including the Character & Fitness Questionnaire.
- Information on Admission Without Examination (for persons who may be qualified by virtue of their years of experience in the full-time licensed practice of law in accordance with Rule 1A:1).
- Information on the Law Reader Program.
- Information on Military Legal Assistance Attorney, Military Spouse Provisional Admission, Foreign Legal Consultant, Virginia Corporate Counsel, Part I, and Virginia State Bar Reinstatement.
We can be contacted at the address and phone number below or by accessing the Contact Us page. We try to respond to all correspondence within 48 hours of our receipt, workload permitting. In order to give our staff time to perform all of their required duties, our voice telephone lines are open between the hours of 9:00 to 12:00 and 1:00 to 4:00 Monday through Friday. At other times (or if all lines are busy during those hours), you will hear a recording. Before calling, please see if your questions can be answered by the information on this site.