Military Spouse Provisional Admission Application Filing Instructions
Click the links below to access further information or to print certain forms.
STEP 1 - READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS/RULES BEFORE STARTING
Instructions below will assist you in preparing the Military Spouse Provisional Admission Application. Please read them carefully before you begin the application process.
Carefully read the Supreme Court of Virginia Rule 1A:8 before going on to Step 2.
Minimum Threshold Requirements - To be eligible for Military Spouse Provisional Admission you must be able to answer Yes or True to all the Minimum Threshold Requirements.
Click here for sample Military Spouse Provisional Admission and Character & Fitness Questionnaire forms
STEP 2 – GATHER AND PREPARE REQUIRED MATERIALS
Certain items are required to be attached to your Military Spouse Provisional Admission Application and Character & Fitness Questionnaire. Before you begin completing the application or questionnaire, request the documents you are required to submit. Many items are required for all applications, although some items noted are only required depending upon your responses to certain questions. Requesting the items in advance will ensure you can submit a COMPLETE Application and/or Character & Fitness Questionnaire.
Additionally, your responses to certain questions may indicate that other documents, not listed below, are required.
In addition to the Military Spouse Provisional Admission application and your Character & Fitness Questionnaire, the following items are required with EVERY Admission. Click the link below for further information regarding each requirement.
- Full Legal Name
- NCBE Number
- Law School Transcript
- MPRE Score Report
- Certificates of Discipline from ALL jurisdictions where you are/have ever been licensed to practice law
- Certificates of Good Standing for ALL jurisdictions where you are/have ever been licensed to practice law
- Copy of spouse's military orders
- Copy of military dependent ID card
- Proof of Virginia Residence (VA driving license, rental lease, mortgage statement, utility bill)
- Rule 1A:8 Military Spouse Provisional Admission (MSPA) Course Affidavit with Certificate of Attendance verifying you have completed 12 hours of approved Rule 1A:8 Military Spouse Provisional Course. For the course(s) currently approved click here.
- Virginia Rules of Professional Conduct (VRPC) Affidavit (Included with VBBE Online Forms)
- Local Counsel Affidavit (to be completed by your Local Counsel)
- Fees (Money order or certified check. NO personal or company checks.) One check is acceptable. Checks must be made payable to "Virginia Board of Bar Examiners".
- Credit Report
- DMV Record(s)
- Birth Certificate, Naturalization or Immigration documentation
- Complete and Accurate Addresses for your prior Residences, Schools, Employers
The following items may be required depending upon your response to certain questions.
- Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree or Name Change Order for verification of current legal name
- DD214 - Military Report of Separation documents
- Court Records for all Felony Charges
- Court Orders in regard to past due debts, creditors, tax liens, judgments
- Bankruptcy Petitions
- Defaulted student loan documentation
- Character & Fitness Healthcare Form, completed by Licensed Healthcare Professional (part of the online forms)
STEP 3 - ACCESSING AND COMPLETING THE APPLICATIONS
- Follow the instructions provided in the online forms. Your responses to certain questions will determine which forms you must complete.
- Your answers are NOT automatically saved, so make sure you frequently click the "Save Your Answers" button located on the taskbar.
- An Answer Summary is available to review the online questions and your answers throughout the process.
- Before you click the Submit button on the taskbar, you must confirm you have reviewed the Answer Summary. PLEASE NOTE: Once you click Submit, you can no longer access the online interview questions.
- VERY IMPORTANT STEP: You MUST send a paper copy of all forms to the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners. Once you click "Submit" on the taskbar and follow all the steps, a link will be provided for you to download your application forms. It is VERY IMPORTANT that you download and save this file in order to print the required forms for submission to the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners.
- To access the VBBE Online Forms, you must register. Please use your current email address and choose a password that you will remember. For more information about how to register, access and complete your VBBE Online Forms, click here.
- Review and sign the Application and have your signature notarized.
- Character & Fitness Questionnaire (CFQ) include the following:
- Fully completed CFQ
- Completed handwriting sample, Section 21 of the CFQ
- Two (2) originally signed and notarized Authorization and Release Forms (last two pages of printed CFQ)
- All required attachments as listed on CFQ checklist
- PRINT SINGLE SIDED ONLY. YOU SHOULD MAKE A PHOTOCOPY OF ALL DOCUMENTS SUBMITTED TO THE VIRGINIA BOARD OF BAR EXAMINERS FOR YOUR RECORDS.
STEP 4 – GATHER MATERIALS
A Checklist of your application requirements is included on the last page of the forms. As you package your application, use the checklist to confirm that you have completed and included each REQUIRED item. Your application will not be considered complete until all required attachments have been received.
STEP 5 - SEND YOUR COMPLETED MILITARY SPOUSE PROVISIONAL ADMISSION APPLICATION AND CHARACTER & FITNESS QUESTIONNAIRE TO:
Office of the Secretary
Virginia Board of Bar Examiners
2201 W. Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23220
Due to confidentiality limitations, the Board will not confirm receipt of an application over the phone. To ensure we have received your application, send it using a delivery method that you can track or include with your application forms a self-addressed stamped envelope or postcard which we will return to you date-stamped with the date we received your application.