Admission Without Examination Application Filing Instructions
The instructions below will assist you in completing the Admission Without Examination Application.
Click the links below to access further information or to print certain forms. Only complete applications, with ALL required documentation will be processed.
STEP 1 - READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS/RULES BEFORE STARTING
Instructions below will assist you in preparing the Admission Without Examination Application. Please read them carefully before you begin the application process.
Carefully read the Supreme Court of Virginia Rule 1A:1 Rules and Regulations before going on to Step 2.
Minimum Threshold Requirements - To be eligible for Admission Without Examination you must be able to answer Yes or True to all the Minimum Threshold Requirements.
Click here for sample Admission Without Examination and Character & Fitness Questionnaire forms.
STEP 2 – GATHER AND PREPARE REQUIRED MATERIALS
Certain items are required to be attached to your Admission Without Examination Application and Character & Fitness Questionnaire. In lieu of a report from the National Conference of Bar Examiners, the Board currently conducts it's own character and fitness investigation. Before you begin completing the application or questionnaire, request the documents you are required to submit. Many items are required for all applications, although some items noted are only required depending upon your responses to certain questions. Requesting the items in advance will ensure you can submit a COMPLETE Application and/or Character & Fitness Questionnaire.
Additionally, your responses to certain questions may indicate that other documents, not listed below, are required.
The following items are required with EVERY Admission Without Examination Application. Click the link below for further information regarding each requirement.
- Full Legal Name
- NCBE Number
- Credit Report
- DMV Record(s)
- Birth Certificate, Naturalization or Immigration documentation
- Certificates of Good Standing for ALL jurisdictions where you are/have ever been licensed to practice law
- Certificates of Discipline for ALL jurisdictions where you are/have ever been licensed to practice law
- Complete and Accurate Addresses for your prior Residences, Schools, Employers
- Verification of Reciprocity
- Resume of your past practice of law
- Law School Transcript
- Virginia Rules of Professional Conduct (VRPC) Affidavit (Included with VBBE Online Forms)
- Fees (Money order or certified check. NO personal or company checks.) One check is acceptable. Checks must be made payable to "Virginia Board of Bar Examiners".
- Rule 1A:1 Reciprocity Course(s) Affidavit - You must have completed 12 hours of approved Rule 1A:1 Reciprocity Course(s) on Virginia law and procedure BEFORE you submit your application. For the course(s) currently approved click here.
The following items may be required depending upon your response to certain questions.
- Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree or Name Change Order for verification of current legal name
- DD214 - Military Report of Separation documents
- Self-Employment Documentation: Federal Tax Returns, Client References, Copy of Lease, Certificate of Judge or References from 3 Colleagues, Affidavit of Full-time Practice
- Court Records for all Felony Charges
- Court Orders in regard to past due debts, creditors, tax liens, judgments
- Bankruptcy Petitions
- Defaulted student loan documentation
- Character & Fitness Healthcare Form, completed by Licensed Healthcare Professional (part of the online forms)
STEP 3 – ACCESSING AND COMPLETING THE APPLICATIONS
The Virginia Board of Bar Examiners has attempted to make our online forms as user friendly as possible. Please take a few minutes to read ALL instructions provided for ease of completing the forms.
Overview of Application Process and Steps:
New User Registration Steps:
- Register: Click "No Account? Register Now" to create an account, User ID and Password.
- Log In: Enter User ID and Password to Log In.
- New Transaction: Upon Log In, you will enter your portal where you can start a new VBBE application form. Click New Transaction in the upper right corner.
- VBBE Online Form Workspace: Your Workspace is where you can start/edit a document, view draft and final application PDFs.
- Begin Application: Starts the VBBE Online Forms Interview. Your responses to certain questions will determine which forms you must complete.
- Documents: Every time you click Save and Exit, you will return to your Workspace. A PDF of your application is created each time you exit. To view and print the draft or final application PDF, click the PDF icon. You MUST disable popup blockers before viewing the PDF.
Previously Registered User:
- Log In: Enter User ID and Password to Log In.
- Select Form In Progress or New Transaction: Select a form In Progress by click the form Name (Your Name with Start Date) or click New Transaction to start a new form.
- VBBE Online Form Workspace: Your Workspace is where you can start/edit an application and view the draft and final application PDFs.
- Edit My Answers: Returns you to the VBBE Online Forms Interview to continue or edit your previous answers.
- Documents: Save and Exit will return you to your Workspace. A PDF of your application is created each time you exit. To view and print the draft or final application PDF, click the PDF icon. You MUST disable popup blockers before viewing the PDF.
Review, Print and Send:
- Draft Review: You must review the draft PDF before certifying your application for submission.
- Certify: By typing certify, you are confirming you have reviewed the draft PDF of your application and all answers are true and correct.
- Submit: No changes can be made after you select Submit. Once you submit your application, a final PDF will be available to download and print.
- Final PDF: You MUST send a paper copy of all forms to the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners. Online submission of the forms does NOT constitute a filed application.
- Checklist: A detailed checklist will print with your application forms. Follow all instructions on the Checklist to ensure you are submitting a complete application.
- Print Single-Sided Only.
- For your records, make a photocopy of all forms and documents submitted to the VBBE.
To Register and Access: VBBE Online Forms, click here.
STEP 4 – GATHER MATERIALS
A Checklist of your application requirements is included on the last page of the forms. As you package your application, use the checklist to confirm that you have completed and included each REQUIRED item. Your application will not be considered complete until all required attachments have been received.
STEP 5 – SEND YOUR COMPLETED ADMISSION WITHOUT EXAMINATION APPLICATION AND CHARACTER & FITNESS QUESTIONNAIRE TO:
Office of the Secretary
Virginia Board of Bar Examiners
2201 W. Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23220
Due to confidentiality limitations, the Board will not confirm receipt of an application over the phone. To ensure we have received your application, send it using a delivery method that you can track or include with your application forms a self-addressed stamped envelope or postcard which we will return to you date-stamped with the date we received your application.