For those awaiting the MPRE results in order to be licensed
Applicants awaiting the MPRE results from the November 2013 MPRE examination, and who had their results sent to Virginia, please DO NOT CALL the office to find out if we have received your scores or to inquire about when you are going to be licensed.
The next licensing date is December 16, 2013. Those applicants who passed a previous Virginia bar exam (July 2013 or prior), have met all requirements, and are otherwise qualified, will be licensed on December 16, 2013.
Upon being licensed, a letter will be sent to the address on record advising you of your licensure and the procedures to then follow.
If you have changed your address, please complete a Change of Address form.
February 2014 Bar Examination
• Filing Deadline - December 16*, 2013 - Click here to access the application.
*Statutory filing deadline, December 15, 2013, is a Sunday, therefore the filing deadline is extended to December 16, 2013.
See § 54.1-3925 of the Code of Virginia.
If your application is not actually received in the Secretary's office by the filing deadline (May 10 for the July exam; December 15 for the February exam) it may be deemed to be timely filed only if it has been transmitted expense prepaid to the Office of the Secretary of the Board by Priority, Express, Registered or Certified mail via the United States Postal Service, or by a third party commercial carrier for Next-Day Delivery AND the official receipt therefor issued by the United States Postal Service or by such third party commercial carrier, which shall be exhibited on demand of the Secretary, shows such transmission or mailing to the Secretary's office on or before the prescribed deadline.
Priority, Express, Registered or Certified mail via the United States Postal Service or Next-Day Delivery by a third party commercial carrier are the ONLY methods of transmission or mailing authorized by the statute. Thus, an application sent by any other form of mail, such as First Class mail, CANNOT be accepted if it is received after the filing deadline, even if it is postmarked before.
Help with VBBE Forms Wizard
• Eliminate Forms Wizard Crashes. If your Forms Wizard is left unattended and your computer shuts down, it will cause the Forms Wizard to crash. All answers are saved immediately so there is no need to leave the Forms Wizard open. If your Forms Wizard crashes, call 804-367-0412 for assistance. Do Not Reinstall.
• Forms Wizard Expiration. If your Forms Wizard has expired, please call 804-367-0412 to obtain a password.
• Assistance. Click here to see our VBBE Forms Wizard FAQ. If you need additional assistance with our VBBE Forms Wizard or help troubleshooting how it works with your computer, please contact our systems administrator via 804-367-0412.
|December 4, 2013
Admission Ceremony - more information
|*December 16, 2013
Filing Deadline for February 2014 Bar Examination - more information
*Statutory filing deadline, December 15, 2013, is a Sunday, therefore the filing deadline is extended to Monday, December 16, 2013.
|February 25-26, 2014
February 2014 Bar Examination in Norfolk, VA - more information
The Virginia Board of Bar Examiners (the "Board") is an agency of the Supreme Court of Virginia. In addition, its statutory authority is found in § 54.1-3919 et seq. of the Code of Virginia. The Board is responsible for ascertaining the qualifications of applicants for admission to the Bar of Virginia and licensing those applicants who meet those requirements as established by the Supreme Court of Virginia, the Virginia General Assembly, and the Rules and Regulations issued by the Board.
We can be contacted at the address and phone number above. We try to respond to all correspondence within 48 hours of our receipt, workload permitting. In order to give our staff time to perform all of their required duties, our voice telephone lines are open between the hours of 10:00 AM and Noon and 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM Monday - Friday. At other times (or if all lines are busy during those hours), you will hear a recording. Before telephoning, please see if your questions can be answered by the information on this site.
We want to provide you with as much information as possible on the bar admission process in Virginia. On this website, you will find:
- Frequently Asked Questions about admission to the Virginia Bar.
- Information about the Bar Examination and all its components, including the Character & Fitness Questionnaire.
- Information on Admission on Motion (without examination for persons who may be qualified by virtue of their years of experience in the full-time licensed practice of law in a reciprocal jurisdiction.)
- Information on the Law Reader Program.
- Information on Military Legal Assistance Attorney, Foreign Legal Consultant, and Virginia State Bar Reinstatement.