- Laptop Registration - More Information
The Virginia Board of Bar Examiners (the "Board") is an agency of the Supreme Court of Virginia. In addition, its statutory authority is found in § 54.1-3919 et seq. of the Code of Virginia. The Board is responsible for ascertaining the qualifications of applicants for admission to the Bar of Virginia and licensing those applicants who meet those requirements as established by the Supreme Court of Virginia, the Virginia General Assembly, and the Rules and Regulations issued by the Board.
We can be contacted at the address and phone number below or by accessing the Contact Us page. We try to respond to all correspondence within 48 hours of our receipt, workload permitting. In order to give our staff time to perform all of their required duties, our voice telephone lines are open between the hours of 10:00 AM and Noon and 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM Monday - Friday. At other times (or if all lines are busy during those hours), you will hear a recording. Before telephoning, please see if your questions can be answered by the information on this site.
We want to provide you with as much information as possible on the bar admission process in Virginia. On this website, you will find:
- Frequently Asked Questions about admission to the Virginia Bar.
- Information about the Bar Examination and all its components, including the Character & Fitness Questionnaire.
- Information on Admission Without Examination (for persons who may be qualified by virtue of their years of experience in the full-time licensed practice of law in accordance with Rule 1A:1)
- Information on the Law Reader Program.
- Information on Military Legal Assistance Attorney, Military Spouse Provisional Admission, Foreign Legal Consultant, and Virginia State Bar Reinstatement.