Military Spouse Provisional Admission Rule
The Supreme Court of Virginia has established Rule 1A:8 Military Spouse Provisional Admission effective July 1, 2014. Click here to review the Rule and all other requirements, as well as access the online forms.
July 2014 Bar Examination - Laptop Registration
• Laptop Registration: Registration for the July 2014 Laptop Program is CLOSED. For more information, click here.
• Laptop Program FAQ: Click here to read the Frequently Asked Questions regarding this exam.
July 2014 Bar Examination
• IMPORTANT HOTEL INFORMATION - The Roanoke area will be hosting a large softball tournament at the same time the July Virginia bar examination is being administered in Roanoke. Hotel rooms are available, but will be limited. If you are planning to take the July 2014 bar exam in Virginia, you are encouraged to make your reservations as soon as possible. To assist you in finding available hotel rooms in the Roanoke area, the Roanoke Valley Convention & Visitors Bureau (RVCVB) has a special web page with links to the various hotels in the Roanoke area. An applicant can select the hotel of his or her choice and make a reservation from the RVCVB web page.
The RVCVB web page link is: http://www.visitroanokeva.com/meetingplanners/virginiabarexam/
DO NOT DELAY. Make your hotel reservations today.
|May 19, 2014
Email Confirmation of Application Receipt - more information
|May 20, 2014 - June 30, 2014
Application Processing and Notification of Items Required - more information
|June 2, 2014
July 2014 Virginia Bar Exam Instructions (Handwriting) - more information
July 2014 Virginia Bar Exam Instructions (Laptop) - more information
|June 3, 2014
Admission Ceremony for February 2014 Bar Exam Licensees - more information
|June 11 - June 20, 2014
Laptop Program Registration - more information
|June 21 - June 30, 2014
Laptop Program Late Registration - more information
|July 29-30, 2014
July 2014 Bar Examination in Roanoke, VA - more information
The Virginia Board of Bar Examiners (the "Board") is an agency of the Supreme Court of Virginia. In addition, its statutory authority is found in § 54.1-3919 et seq. of the Code of Virginia. The Board is responsible for ascertaining the qualifications of applicants for admission to the Bar of Virginia and licensing those applicants who meet those requirements as established by the Supreme Court of Virginia, the Virginia General Assembly, and the Rules and Regulations issued by the Board.
We can be contacted at the address and phone number above. We try to respond to all correspondence within 48 hours of our receipt, workload permitting. In order to give our staff time to perform all of their required duties, our voice telephone lines are open between the hours of 10:00 AM and Noon and 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM Monday - Friday. At other times (or if all lines are busy during those hours), you will hear a recording. Before telephoning, please see if your questions can be answered by the information on this site.
We want to provide you with as much information as possible on the bar admission process in Virginia. On this website, you will find:
- Frequently Asked Questions about admission to the Virginia Bar.
- Information about the Bar Examination and all its components, including the Character & Fitness Questionnaire.
- Information on Admission Without Examination (for persons who may be qualified by virtue of their years of experience in the full-time licensed practice of law in accordance with Rule1A:1)
- Information on the Law Reader Program.
- Information on Military Legal Assistance Attorney, Foreign Legal Consultant, and Virginia State Bar Reinstatement.