July 2014 Bar Examination
• Results: Click here for information regarding the results for the July 2014 bar exam.
• Admission Ceremony: Click here for information about the date, time, and location of the admission ceremony for those applicants who pass the bar exam and are licensed by the Board.
Military Spouse Provisional Admission Rule
The Supreme Court of Virginia has established Rule 1A:8 Military Spouse Provisional Admission effective July 1, 2014. Click here to review the Rule and all other requirements, as well as access the online forms.
|October 17, 2014
Anticipated date for results for the July 2014 Bar Examination - more information
|December 3, 2014
Admission Ceremony for July 2014 Bar Exam Licensees - more information
|December 15, 2014|
Filing Deadline for February 2015 Bar Examination - more information
|January 5, 2015
February 2015 Virginia Bar Exam Instructions (Handwriting) - more information
February 2015 Virginia Bar Exam Instructions (Laptop) - more information
|January 7 - January 16, 2015
Laptop Program Registration - more information
|January 17 - January 31, 2015
Laptop Program Late Registration - more information
|February 24-25, 2015
February 2015 Bar Examination in Norfolk, VA - more information
The Virginia Board of Bar Examiners (the "Board") is an agency of the Supreme Court of Virginia. In addition, its statutory authority is found in § 54.1-3919 et seq. of the Code of Virginia. The Board is responsible for ascertaining the qualifications of applicants for admission to the Bar of Virginia and licensing those applicants who meet those requirements as established by the Supreme Court of Virginia, the Virginia General Assembly, and the Rules and Regulations issued by the Board.
We can be contacted at the address and phone number above. We try to respond to all correspondence within 48 hours of our receipt, workload permitting. In order to give our staff time to perform all of their required duties, our voice telephone lines are open between the hours of 10:00 AM and Noon and 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM Monday - Friday. At other times (or if all lines are busy during those hours), you will hear a recording. Before telephoning, please see if your questions can be answered by the information on this site.
We want to provide you with as much information as possible on the bar admission process in Virginia. On this website, you will find:
- Frequently Asked Questions about admission to the Virginia Bar.
- Information about the Bar Examination and all its components, including the Character & Fitness Questionnaire.
- Information on Admission Without Examination (for persons who may be qualified by virtue of their years of experience in the full-time licensed practice of law in accordance with Rule1A:1)
- Information on the Law Reader Program.
- Information on Military Legal Assistance Attorney, Foreign Legal Consultant, and Virginia State Bar Reinstatement.