Military Legal Assistance Attorney Filing Instructions
Very Important Information
Click the links below to access further information or to print certain forms. Your goal should be to submit a package that includes ALL required documentation.
STEP 1 - READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS/RULES BEFORE STARTING
Instructions below will assist you in preparing the Military Legal Assistance Attorney Application. Please read them carefully before you begin the application process.
Carefully read the Military Legal Assistance Attorney Rule 1 A:6 before going on to step 2.
STEP 2 – GATHER AND PREPARE REQUIRED MATERIALS
Certain items are required to be attached to your various applications. Before you begin completing the applications, request the documents you are required to submit. Many items are required for all applications, although some items noted are only required depending upon your responses to certain questions. Requesting the items in advance will ensure you can submit a COMPLETE Application and/or Character and Fitness submission.
Additionally, your responses to certain questions may indicate that other documents, not listed below, are required. You should start your application process early enough to ensure you can secure all required documents.
The following items are required with EVERY Military Legal Assistance Attorney application. Click the link below for further information regarding each requirement.
- Full Legal Name
- Credit Report
- DMV Record(s)
- Law School Transcript
- Certificates of Good Standing - for all jurisdictions where you are/have ever been licensed to practice law (Electronic copy not acceptable)
- Certificates of Discipline - for all jurisdictions where you are/have ever been licensed to practice law (Electronic copy not acceptable)
- Birth Certificate, Naturalization or Immigration documentation
- Complete and Accurate Addresses for your prior Residences, Schools, Employers
- Fees (Money order or certified check. NO personal or company checks.) One or multiple check(s) are acceptable. Checks must be made payable to "Virginia Board of Bar Examiners".
- Military Legal Assistance Attorney Application and Affidavit (Forms available in Step 3)
The following items may be required depending upon your response to certain questions.
- Statement of Good Standing - for ALL jurisdictions where you hold an inactive license to practice law
- Name Change Order
- DD214 - Military Report of Separation documents
- Court Records for all Felony Charges
- Court Orders in regard to creditors, tax liens, judgments
- Bankruptcy Petitions
- Defaulted student loan documentation
- Character & Fitness Healthcare Form, completed by Licensed Healthcare Professional (part of the online forms)
STEP 3 - ACCESSING AND COMPLETING THE APPLICATIONS
- Application Form click here
- Character & Fitness Questionnaire - Call the Bar Examiners' office - (804) 367-0412
- Complete ALL required forms. Depending upon your version of Adobe Reader, some PDF forms cannot be saved. You will need to complete and print such pdf forms in one sitting.
- Print and Proofread ALL Application Forms
- Review and sign the Application and have your signature notarized.
- Character & Fitness Questionnaire (CFQ) include the following:
- Fully completed CFQ
- Completed handwriting sample, Section 21 of the CFQ
- Two (2) originally signed and notarized Authorization and Release Forms (last two pages of printed CFQ)
- All required attachments as listed on CFQ checklist
- Have your Commanding Officer complete the Affidavit - Form RMA #1. You must sign Pages 2 and 3 of the RMA-#1 Affidavit.
- PRINT SINGLE SIDED ONLY. YOU SHOULD MAKE A PHOTOCOPY OF ALL DOCUMENTS SUBMITTED TO THE VIRGINIA BOARD OF BAR EXAMINERS FOR YOUR RECORDS.
STEP 4 – GATHER MATERIALS
As you package your application, check off each item below confirming that you have completed and included each required item. Your application will not be considered complete until all required attachments have been received.
STEP 5 – MAILING YOUR APPLICATIONS
Your application should be submitted in the following order. NOT all of these items are required for every application. Submit your REQUIRED documents in the following order:
Mail all applications to:
Office of the Secretary
Virginia Board of Bar Examiners
2201 W. Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23220