Military Spouse Provisional Admission Application Filing Instructions
Very Important Information
The link to start an Application is provided in the information below. The link is buried to encourage applicants to read ALL information provided.
Click the links below to access further information or to print certain forms. Your goal should be to submit a package that includes ALL required documentation.
STEP 1 - READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS/RULES BEFORE STARTING
Instructions below will assist you in preparing the Military Spouse Provisional Admission Application. Please read them carefully before you begin the application process.
Carefully read the Supreme Court of Virginia Rule 1A:8 before going on to Step 2.
Minimum Threshold Requirements - To be eligible for Military Spouse Provisional Admission you must be able to answer Yes or True to all the Minimum Threshold Requirements.
Click here for sample Military Spouse Provisional Admission and Character & Fitness Questionnaire forms
STEP 2 – GATHER AND PREPARE REQUIRED MATERIALS
Certain items are required to be attached to your Military Spouse Provisional Admission Application and Character & Fitness Questionnaire. Before you begin completing the application or questionnaire, request the documents you are required to submit. Many items are required for all applications, although some items noted are only required depending upon your responses to certain questions. Requesting the items in advance will ensure you can submit a COMPLETE Application and/or Character & Fitness Questionnaire.
Additionally, your responses to certain questions may indicate that other documents, not listed below, are required.
In addition to the Military Spouse Provisional Admission application and your Character & Fitness Questionnaire, the following items are required with EVERY Admission. Click the link below for further information regarding each requirement.
- Full Legal Name
- NCBE Number
- Law School Transcript
- MPRE Score Report
- Certificates of Good Standing - for all jurisdictions where you are/have ever been licensed to practice law
- Certificates of Discipline - for all jurisdictions where you are/have ever been licensed to practice law
- Copy of spouse's military orders
- Copy of military dependent ID card
- Proof of Virginia Residence (VA driving license, rental lease, mortgage statement, utility bill)
- Virginia MCLE Board Certification of Attendance in accordance with Rule 1A:8(2)(k). For the course(s) currently approved click here.
- Virginia Rules of Professional Conduct (VRPC) Affidavit (included in application printout)
- In accordance with Rule 1A:8(2)(l), applicants must provide either:
- (i) Resume of your past practice of law and (if applicable) self-employment documents or
- (ii) Local Counsel Affidavit (to be completed by your Local Counsel)
- Fees (Money Order, Cashier's Check, or Certified Check. NO personal or company checks.) One or multiple check(s) are acceptable. Checks must be made payable to "Virginia Board of Bar Examiners."
- Credit Report
- DMV Record(s)
- Birth Certificate, Naturalization or Immigration documentation
- Complete and Accurate Addresses for your prior Residences, Schools, Employers
The following items may be required depending upon your response to certain questions.
- Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree or Name Change Order for verification of current legal name
- DD214 - Military Report of Separation documents
- Court Records for all Felony Charges
- Court Orders in regard to past due debts, creditors, tax liens, judgments
- Bankruptcy Petitions
- Defaulted student loan documentation
- Character & Fitness Healthcare Form, completed by Licensed Healthcare Professional (part of the online forms)
STEP 3 – ACCESSING AND COMPLETING THE APPLICATIONS
The Virginia Board of Bar Examiners has attempted to make our online forms as user friendly as possible. Please take a few minutes to read ALL instructions provided for ease of completing the forms.
Overview of Application Process and Steps:
Definitions for Application Process:
- VBBE Online Form Workspace: Your Workspace is where you start/edit an application and view the draft and final PDFs.
- VBBE Online Form User Portal: Your User Portal is where you begin a New Transaction (online form) or edit an existing Transaction.
- Follow the instructions provided on your Workspace and/or User Portal pages to assist you with accessing and completing the forms.
- Begin Application: Starts the VBBE Online Forms Interview. Your responses to certain questions will determine which forms you must complete.
- Edit My Answers: Returns you to the VBBE Online Forms Interview to continue working on or edit your previous answers.
- Documents: Every time you click Save and Exit, you will return to your Workspace. A PDF of your application is created each time you click Save and Exit. To view and print the draft or final PDF, click the PDF icon. You MUST disable popup blockers before viewing the PDF.
New User Registration:
- Register: Click “Register Now" to create an account.
- Log In: Enter your User ID and Password to log in. When you log in, you will enter your VBBE Online Form Workspace.
- VBBE Online Workspace: Follow the instructions provided to assist you with accessing and completing the forms.
Previously Registered User:
- Log In: Enter your User ID and Password to log in. When you log in, you will enter either your VBBE Online Form Workspace or your VBBE Online User Portal.
- For VBBE Online Workspace: Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the close button. Then click “New Transaction” to start a new form. Follow the instructions provided to assist you with accessing and completing the forms.
- For VBBE Online User Portal: Select a Form In Progress by clicking the form Name (Your Name with Start Date) or click "New Transaction" to start a new form. Follow the instructions provided to assist you with accessing and completing the forms.
Review and Print:
- Draft Review: You must review the draft PDF before certifying your application for submission.
- Certify: By typing certify, you are confirming you have reviewed the draft PDF of your application and all answers are true and correct.
- Submit: No changes can be made after you select Submit. Once you submit your application, a final PDF will be available to download and print.
- Final PDF: You MUST send a paper copy of all forms to the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners. Online submission of the forms does NOT constitute a filed application.
- Print: Print single-sided only.
- Checklist: A detailed Checklist will print with your application forms. Follow all instructions on the Checklist to ensure you are submitting a complete application.
- For your records, make a photocopy of all forms and documents submitted to the VBBE.
To Access the VBBE Online Forms: Click here.
STEP 4 – APPLICATION ASSEMBLY
Utilize the Checklist as noted above to confirm that you have completed and included each REQUIRED document. Your application will not be considered complete until all required documents have been received.
STEP 5 – SUBMIT YOUR PRINTED APPLICATION FORMS AND ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS TO:
Office of the Secretary
Virginia Board of Bar Examiners
2201 W. Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23220
Due to confidentiality limitations, the Board will not confirm receipt of an application over the phone. To ensure we have received your application, send it using a delivery method that you can track or include with your application forms a self-addressed stamped envelope or postcard which we will return to you date-stamped with the date we received your application.